Ghost Of Future Past



It's time we 

addressed the elephant 

in the room... 

I don't look like I did when I was sixteen 

Long-haired, sweet little thing, with lean legs

That carried me swiftly, hurriedly... 

I never wanted to be seen. 

It was, in short, a terrible time for me.

So why am I scrolling through old pictures,
squeezing into old jeans... mourning what used to be? 

Sure my waist was tiny, 
Ah, but remember how you couldn't breathe from sucking it in... 

My arms were trim, 
So why did I always wear long sleeves... 

I knew all the latest dance moves, 
Pity I only practiced them in my room

There was an innocent twinkle in my eye, 
Far better to be hardened and wise 

Yet I am supposed to believe my best days are already behind me...

the eyes that shined a million stars in one

Playtime is over they said, make way for the burial grounds

start digging the hole, let die your body, the legs that spirited you away


as though you were a crime scene, all evidence of life scoured away,

the laughter the wind carried


the dreams that bubbled iridescent


All that made you, you


gone in a flash of necessity


just a ghost now...


wailing on my own 

gravestone


Here lies, sweet sixteen






Artist featured: @artbymushka

Comments